Kentucky Lake, Lake Barkley Levels & Conditions
|Conditions as of 5 PM 5/19/2019||Upper||Lower||Water|
Current: 68,560 cfs / Above Average
Current: 33,300 cfs / Above Average
Special Lake Information & NoticesStay safe out there!
|Forecast||Kentucky Upper||Kentucky Flow||Barkley Upper||Barkley Flow|
|Today 4:00pm||359.8'||68,260 cfs||359.5'||33,100 cfs|
|10:00pm||359.8'||68,190 cfs||359.7'||33,100 cfs|
|5/20 4:00am||359.8'||68,170 cfs||359.7'||33,100 cfs|
|10:00am||359.8'||68,170 cfs||359.7'||33,100 cfs|
|4:00pm||359.8'||59,000 cfs||359.5'||33,100 cfs|
|10:00pm||359.7'||59,000 cfs||359.6'||33,100 cfs|
|5/21 4:00am||359.7'||59,000 cfs||359.6'||33,100 cfs|
|10:00am||359.6'||59,000 cfs||359.6'||33,100 cfs|
|4:00pm||359.6'||59,000 cfs||359.4'||33,100 cfs|
|10:00pm||359.5'||59,000 cfs||359.4'||33,100 cfs|
|5/22 4:00am||359.5'||37,080 cfs||359.4'||13,530 cfs|
|10:00am||359.5'||45,050 cfs||359.5'||16,650 cfs|
|4:00pm||359.4'||59,000 cfs||359.3'||40,270 cfs|
|10:00pm||359.4'||59,000 cfs||359.3'||31,450 cfs|
Explanation of Values
Water temperatures are reported from Hancock Biological
Station on Ledbetter Bay at Kentucky Lake and are measured
at the surface.
Click here for a chart of normal water temps.
Change - this shows the difference in the past 24 hours.
Normal - this shows the departure from normal.
cfs = cubic feet per second, which is the amount of water that is discharged through the dams.
Water Clarity - "stained" means some murkiness
or discolor in the lakes. "Normal" means typical
clarity, usually 3-4 feet for Kentucky. "Muddy" means
no clarity at all.
Lake elevation is based on sea-level. Strength of current is based on the discharge rate at the dams. Kentucky Lake is much larger than Lake Barkley, so 100,000 cfs at Barkley Dam produces stronger current than 100,000 cfs at Kentucky Dam. Use this unofficial chart to compare current strengths.
Lake elevations and current forecasts are provided in real-time from TVA and the NWS.
The Kentucky Lake Operating Guide is provided by TVA.
Kentucky Lake Operating Guide
Normal Lake Stages
- May 1 - July 1: Summer Pool - 359.0'
- Dec. 1 - March 31: Winter Pool - 354.0'
- The gray-shaded area in the chart above shows the target lake stages for Kentucky Lake throughout the course of a year.
Kentucky Lake & Lake Barkley Records
- Kentucky Lake Record High: 372.49' set on May 4, 2011
- Lake Barkley Record High: 372.49' set on May 4, 2011
- Kentucky Lake Record Low: 348.02' set on March 11, 1961
- Lake Barkley Record Low: 352.3' set on April 19, 1982
- Kentucky Lake Record cfs: 446,000 set in 1944
- Lake Barkley Record cfs: 303,000 set on May 4, 2011
- Lake Barkley Lower Record High: 350.8' set on May 4, 2011
- Kentucky Lake Record High Water Temp: 90.8° set 8/2/11
- Kentucky Lake Record Low Water Temp: 36.2° set 1/12/2010