Kentucky Lake, Lake Barkley Levels & Conditions
|Conditions as of 7 PM 2/24/2017||Upper||Lower||Water|
Current: 32,542 cfs / Average
Current: 18,600 cfs / Average
Special Lake Information & NoticesStay safe on the water!
|6 a.m. Forecast||Kentucky Upper||Kentucky Flow||Barkley Upper||Barkley Flow|
|2/25||355.0'||30,660 cfs||354.8'||22,570 cfs|
|2/26||354.8'||27,850 cfs||354.8'||27,390 cfs|
|2/27||354.8'||8,930 cfs||354.7'||13,390 cfs|
|2/28||354.9'||39,320 cfs||354.9'||16,740 cfs|
|3/1||354.8'||34,170 cfs||354.8'||16,830 cfs|
|3/2||354.7'||31,760 cfs||354.7'||24,510 cfs|
Explanation of Values
Water temperatures are reported from Murray State
University and TVA. Normal water temperatures are
based on historical fishing reports and normal air
Click here for a chart of normal water temps.
Change - this shows the difference in the past 24 hours.
Normal - this shows the departure from normal.
cfs = cubic feet per second, which is the amount of water that is discharged through the dams.
Water Clarity - "stained" means some murkiness
or discolor in the lakes. "Normal" means typical
clarity, usually 3-4 feet for Kentucky. "Muddy" means
no clarity at all.
Lake elevation is based on sea-level. Strength of current is based on the discharge rate at the dams. Kentucky Lake is much larger than Lake Barkley, so 100,000 cfs at Barkley Dam produces stronger current than 100,000 cfs at Kentucky Dam. Use this unofficial chart to compare current strengths.
Lake elevations and current forecasts are provided in real-time from TVA and the NWS. Forecasts are for 6:00 a.m. each day.
The Kentucky Lake Operating Guide is provided by TVA.
Kentucky Lake Operating Guide
Normal Lake Stages
- May 1 - July 1: Summer Pool - 359.0'
- Dec. 1 - March 31: Winter Pool - 354.0'
- The gray-shaded area in the chart above shows the target lake stages for Kentucky Lake throughout the course of a year.
Kentucky Lake & Lake Barkley Records
- Kentucky Lake Record High: 372.49' set on May 4, 2011
- Lake Barkley Record High: 372.49' set on May 4, 2011
- Kentucky Lake Record Low: 348.02' set on March 11, 1961
- Lake Barkley Record Low: 352.3' set on April 19, 1982
- Lake Barkley Record cfs: 303,000 set on May 4, 2011
- Lake Barkley Lower Record High: 350.8' set on May 4, 2011
- Kentucky Lake Record High Water Temp: 92° set 7/24/16