Kentucky Lake, Lake Barkley Live Cams
Kentucky Lake, Lake Barkley Levels & Conditions
|Conditions as of 10 am 9/29/2016||Upper||Lower||Water|
Current: 18,232 cfs / Low
Current: 9,000 cfs / Low
Special Lake Information & NoticesWinter pool is getting close. Watch out for mudflats and typically submerged objects that may have resurfaced. Stay safe on the water!
|6 a.m. Forecast||Kentucky Upper||Kentucky Flow||Barkley Upper||Barkley Flow|
|09/28||355.1'||21,720 cfs||355.4'||8,920 cfs|
|09/29||355.0'||18,000 cfs||355.1'||8,900 cfs|
|09/30||355.0'||14,000 cfs||355.0'||8,900 cfs|
|10/01||355.0'||14,000 cfs||355.0'||8,900 cfs|
|10/02||355.0'||14,000 cfs||355.0'||8,900 cfs|
|10/03||354.9'||14,000 cfs||355.0'||8,900 cfs|
|10/04||355.0'||14,000 cfs||355.0'||8,900 cfs|
Explanation of Values
Water temperatures are reported from Murray State
University and TVA. Normal water temperatures are
based on historical fishing reports and normal air
Click here for a chart of normal water temps.
Change - this shows the difference in the past 24 hours.
Normal - this shows the departure from normal.
cfs = cubic feet per second, which is the amount of water that is discharged through the dams.
Water Clarity - "stained" means some murkiness
or discolor in the lakes. "Normal" means typical
clarity, usually 3-4 feet for Kentucky. "Muddy" means
no clarity at all.
Lake elevation is based on sea-level. Strength of current is based on the discharge rate at the dams. Kentucky Lake is much larger than Lake Barkley, so 100,000 cfs at Barkley Dam produces stronger current than 100,000 cfs at Kentucky Dam. Use this unofficial chart to compare current strengths.
Lake elevations and current forecasts are provided in real-time from TVA and the NWS. Forecasts are for 6:00 a.m. each day.
The Kentucky Lake Operating Guide is provided by TVA. The red line indicates the midnight elevation. The black line indicates last year's elevation. The gray area is normal lake levels. The yellow line is their Flowage Easement Level.
Kentucky Lake Operating Guide
Normal Lake Stages
- May 1 - July 1: Summer Pool - 359.0'
- Dec. 1 - March 31: Winter Pool - 354.0'
- The gray-shaded area in the chart above shows the target lake stages for Kentucky Lake throughout the course of a year.
Kentucky Lake & Lake Barkley Records
- Kentucky Lake Record High: 372.49' set on May 4, 2011
- Lake Barkley Record High: 372.49' set on May 4, 2011
- Kentucky Lake Record Low: 348.02' set on March 11, 1961
- Lake Barkley Record Low: 352.3' set on April 19, 1982
- Lake Barkley Record cfs: 303,000 set on May 4, 2011
- Lake Barkley Lower Record High: 350.8' set on May 4, 2011
- Kentucky Lake Record High Water Temp: 92° set 7/24/16