Explore Kentucky Lake

Kentucky Lake, Lake Barkley Fishing
Facebook Twitter Instagram Google YouTube Contact Us About Us
Switch Mobile/Desktop

Archived Fishing Report

Dave Stewart's Fishing Report

Written by Dave Stewart | Originally published 04/12/2017

Kentucky Lake:  Water Level at Kentucky Dam - 357.62  Surface Temperature - 64
Lake Barkley:  Water Level at Barkley Dam - 357.75  Surface Temperature - 64
 
Both lakes are one and one half feet below summer pool and on a slow rise.  Kentucky Dam was generating at an average rate of 13,500 cfs this afternoon.  Barkley Dam was generating at an average rate of 7,200 cfs this afternoon.  
 
Current Conditions:  The wind and weather has finally settled down after the big winds we had over the past week and weekend.  The lakes are rising and so are the water temperatures.  Water is starting to creep up into the yellow flowers and the bases of the button brush and more Largemouth are starting to move shallow on late prespawn and spawning patterns.  

Of course there are still plenty of fish staging on creek channel banks and associated secondary points in the creeks and bays.  Barring any more nasty fronts and if the TVA does not rank the water back down, the shallow bite should be good for the foreseeable future.  Be careful running the lakes as the water is rising and there is some wood debris floating on both lakes.  
 
The forecast for Friday is for a high of 81/night time low of 61 with a 20 percent chance of scattered thunderstorms and wind S at 7.  Saturday's forecast is for a high of 82/night time low of 62 with a 20 percent chance of scattered thunderstorms and wind SSW at 13.  Sunday is showing a high of 73/night time low of 57 with a 60 percent chance of thunderstorms and wind SW at 12.  The forecast through mid next week is calling for daytime high's in the 70's, night time low's in the 50's with post frontal winds from the north on Monday and south quadrant winds on Tuesday and Wednesday.  
 
Largemouth Bass:  Largemouth are being taken on channel banks and secondary points in the creeks and bays on medium running crank baits, spinner baits, Carolina rigged creature baits,  jigs and shakey heads.  Largemouth are also being taken shallow near vegetation and wood cover on topwater lures, lipless and shallow running crank baits, spinner baits, Texas rigged creature baits, jigs and whacky rigged worms.
 
Smallmouth Bass: Smallmouth are being taken on main lake channel points and banks as well as on secondary points and channel banks in the front halves of the creeks and bays on medium running crank baits, Carolina rigged creature baits, tube jigs and jigs. The numbers are low but some nice fish have been taken. These fish are on late prespawn/spawn patterns now. 
 
Productive Lures: Some of the productive lures reported this week are Rapala DT crank baits in demon and red craw, Rapala shadraps in demon, red craw and original crawdad, Bandit medium running crank baits in rootbeer/chartreuse, D&L jigs in "oops" and cumberland craw, Slong's jigs in cumberland craw, Last Cast jigs in green pumpkin,  Charmer shakey head jigs and Slong's shakey head jigs with Charmer shakey head worms in green pumpkin and Zoom trick worm in green pumpkin/purple, Strike King red eye shad and Lewis rattletrap lipless crank baits in crawfish patterns and chrome sexy shad. Spro Little John shallow and medium running crank baits in spring craw and chartreuse with black back and Slong's spinner baits in white/chartreuse, Charmer lizards and timber pups on Texas rigs and Carolina rigs in green pumpkin and green pumpkin/blue, Zoom trick worms whacky rigged in green pumpkin and green pumpkin/purple.
 
Crappie: The Crappie are spawning.  They are being taken around brush piles in 5-7 ft of water by fishing with minnows or small curly tail jigs under bobbers and by casting curly tail jigs. These fish are moving to the banks early in the morning and during the afternoon on the warmer days and are being taken by casting curly tail jigs and road runner type baits. The White Crappie are staging around brush and underwater stake beds in 8-11 ft of water as well as in 12-15 ft of water. These fish are being taken by vertically fishing with jigs and minnow jig combinations as well as slow trolling curly tail jigs. 

More Kentucky Lake Fishing Reports

Now That You're 'Hooked' on Fishing... Come See Us!

If you've dug this deep in our Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley fishing reports, you are probably just itching to come down and visit the South's biggest lakes.  Get started by finding that perfect place to stay!  Find a Kentucky Lake cabin or a Lake Barkley campground, a full-service resort or a marina.  Heck, there are even dozens of hotels off the water to choose from! 

Don't have a boat?  No worries!  Bank fishing is always an option for panfish. But if you're heart is set on largemouth or smallmouth, you can rent a fishing boat at many of our local resorts!

The perfect place to start looking for a place to stay at Kentucky or Barkley Lakes?  Right here on our main lodging page.


Bald Eagle
Photo by Melodie Cunningham

This majestic bald eagle is keeping a close eye on his Kentucky Lake neighborhood. The months of January and February are the best times to catch a glimpse of bald eagles in Land Between The Lakes.