Explore Kentucky Lake

Kentucky Lake, Lake Barkley Fishing
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Contact Us About Us
Switch Mobile/Desktop

Archived Fishing Report

Dave Stewart's Fishing Report

Written by Dave Stewart | Originally published 09/16/2016

Kentucky Lake:  Water Level at Kentucky Dam - 355.97  Surface Temperature - 84  

Lake Barkley:  Water Level at Barkley Dam - 355.65  Surface Temperature - 84
Both lakes are about 3 and one half feet below summer pool.  Kentucky Dam was generating at an average rate of 26,000 cfs early this morning.  Barkley Dam was generating at an average rate of 9,000 cfs early this morning.  
FLASH:  I will not be pubishing a report next week as my wife and I will be on vacation.  My wife told me that this year we are going to see what it is like to vacation during the summer rather than in the winter as we have during my off season for the past 20 years.  Hmmm...I wonder what those salt water fish are doing down in Florida next week.  If you wish to book a trip with me for the up coming fall bite while I am gone, just send me an email as I will be checking my email each day.  
General Conditions:  We have had another week of cooler fall like temperatures early in the week and then a return to summer temperatures the past few days with heat indexes around 100 each day.  The water temperatures did drop to around 82 earlier in the week but climbed back up to present levels with the return of the heat.  The forecast looks good though with another cool front coming in this weekend and hopefully getting the water temperatures to start dropping again over the next week.
The scattered bite patterns continued this week with some good days and some slow days as has been the norm the past few weeks.  Exemplifying this is the fact that we had some days with as much as 19lbs on the best 5 fish in the boat and some days it was a struggle to put a few fish in the boat.  I noticed that in the first day of the FLW BFL  tournament last weekend, that the top weight was around 20lbs but half the field of about 100 boats had 2 fish or less.  It only took about 12 lbs to get a check in the 2 day tournament.  So, basically it has been feast or famine lately.  We had a pretty fair week ourselves on Largemouth and Smallmouth fishing finesse baits and some topwater on secondary creek channel points and banks in the front halves of the creeks and bays on the north ends of both lakes.  
The forecast for Saturday is calling for a high of 84/low of 68 with a 60% chance of scattered thunderstorms with wind S at 8.  Sunday is calling for a high of 85/low of 63 with a 40% chance of thunderstorms with wind NNW at 5.  The extended forecast thourgh next mid week is calling for post frontal conditions with high's in the 80's/low's in the mid 60's with light winds and sunny skies.  
LARGEMOUTH BASS: Largemouth are being taken on the ledges as well as on main lake points where there is shallow wood near the deep water. These fish are being taken on Carolina rigged creature baits, Texas rigged large worms, drop shots, shaky heads and jigs.  The ledge bite has been scattered and slow. There are also some bass being taken on seconday creek channel points and banks in the creeks and bays. 

These fish are feeding on schools of fry and are being taken on medium running crank baits, finesse jigs, dead sticking senko baits with some early morning and late evening topwater lures. This was our most productive pattern this week. Some Largemouth are also being taken around isolated wood in the shallows with topwater lures, spinner baits, lipless crankbaits, square billed crankbaits, jigs, shakey heads and Texas rigged creature baits especially early in the morning and late in the evening where they are feeding on schools of fry. This bite is working best on overcast days with wind.  
SMALLMOUTH BASS:  Smallmouth are also being taken on main lake rocky points and banks as well as rocky secondary creek channel banks and points  in the creeks and bays. These fish are being taken on medium running crankbaits, finesse jigs, shaky heads, dead sticked senko type baits with some early and late topwater lures. Smallmouth are being taken on the rocky points on the main lake and in the front halves of the creeks and bays at night on large dark skirted spinner baits and jigs.
PRODUCTIVE LURES: Some of the productive lures this week have been: Lucky Craft Sammy in ghost pearl lemom,  Strike King spash baits in white, Bag5 custom painted square billed crankbaits in blue glimmer, Bag5 custom painted Strike Red Eye Shad in blue glimmer, Stike King Red Eye Shad in sexy shad and chrome sexy shad, Slong's spinner bait in blue glimmer and chartruese/white, D&L baby advantage jigs in "oops" and Cumberland Craw patterns, Slong’s football jig with a blue craw skirt, Slong’s and Charmer shaky head jigs with Charmer shaky head worm in green pumpkin as well as Charmer timber pups in green pumpkin/blue and watermelon purple, Charmer timber pups in green pumpkin blue and watermelon/purple on Carolina rigs and Texas rigs,  and dead sticking Yamamoto Senko's in green pumpkin/black flake and green pumpkin magic. 
White Bass: White Bass are being taken along the old river channel ledges by vertically fishing with inline spinners, live minnows fished vertically and blade baits as well as trolling inline spinners behind deep diving crank baits. White Bass have been somewhat active this week in the jumps along the river channel ledges and creek channel ledges as well as on the main lake flats, but the jumps are short in duration. These fish are being taken on inline spinners, small poppers and small spoons cast into the surface feeding fish. There are some active smaller White Bass in the bays feeding on schools of fry, these fish are being taken with inline spinners and blade baits.
Catfish: Catfish are being taken along the old river channel ledges in 20-30 feet of water on bottom rigs baited with cut baits, shrimp and leach combinations and yellow tails. This bite is reported as slow with the lack of current this week.

More Kentucky Lake Fishing Reports

Now That You're 'Hooked' on Fishing... Come See Us!

If you've dug this deep in our Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley fishing reports, you are probably just itching to come down and visit the South's biggest lakes.  Get started by finding that perfect place to stay!  Find a Kentucky Lake cabin or a Lake Barkley campground, a full-service resort or a marina.  Heck, there are even dozens of hotels off the water to choose from! 

Don't have a boat?  No worries!  Bank fishing is always an option for panfish. But if you're heart is set on largemouth or smallmouth, you can rent a fishing boat at many of our local resorts!

The perfect place to start looking for a place to stay at Kentucky or Barkley Lakes?  Right here on our main lodging page.

Bald Eagle
Photo by Melodie Cunningham

This majestic bald eagle is keeping a close eye on his Kentucky Lake neighborhood. The months of January and February are the best times to catch a glimpse of bald eagles in Land Between The Lakes.