Explore Kentucky Lake

Kentucky Lake, Lake Barkley Fishing
Facebook Twitter Instagram Google YouTube Contact Us About Us
Switch Mobile/Desktop

Archived Fishing Report

Dave Stewart's Fishing Report

Written by Dave Stewart | Originally published 07/08/2016

Kentucky Lake:  Water Level at Kentucky Dam - 360.35  Surface Temperature - 84

Lake Barkley:  Water Level at Barkley Dam - 360.85  Surface Temperature - 84
Both lakes are nearly 2 feet over summer pool.  Kentucky Dam was generating at an average rate of 61, 000 cfs this morning.  Barkley Dam was generating at an average rate of 51,000 cfs this morning.  
General Conditions:  Thunderstorms, high winds and heavy rains have been the story this week.  Here in Marshall County we have received nearly 15 inches of rain since Monday.  In addition to a lot of wind damage as well as flooding caused by the wet weather this week, the run off has shot the lake levels up to present levels.  We were only able to get on the water one day this week due to the weather and that trip was cut short with approaching severe thunderstorms.  The ledge bite was somewhat slow that morning although my clients did boat a few quality Largemouth.  Although we have not been out the past couple of days, no doubt this much rain run off has muddied up the backs of some of the creeks and bays, especially on Barkley.  

The plus to this situation is that the TVA is pulling water and this should have the ledge fish on the main lake active.  Below is the present weather forecast but let me caution you that these forecasts are changing a lot lately so before you venture on the water, you should check for the latest forecasts for storm and wind conditions.  These storms we are getting have a lot of wind, lightning and locally heavy rains and are in most cases, fast moving.  Since we have not had a lot of time on the water this week, my species reports below are the same as my last report as I do not expect much has changed in the patterns other than possibly a additional shallow water bite on the Largemouth with water now up in the buck brush where there are still a number of spring fry residing.
The forecast for today is for a high of 90/low of 72 with a 30% chance of isolated thunderstorms and wind WSW at 14.  Saturday is calling for a high of 87/low of 69 with a 40% chance of thunderstorms and wind NNW at 7.  Sunday's forecast is presently calling for a high of 83/low of 68 with a 60% chance of thunderstorms and wind variable at 6.  The extended forecast into next mid week is calling for high's in the low 90's/ low's in the 70's with chances for thunderstorms each day.
LARGEMOUTH BASS: Largemouth are being taken on the ledges with deep diving crankbaits, swim baits, Carolina rigged creature baits, Texas rigged large worms, drop shots and jigs. Largemouth are also being taken shallow in the coves and backs of the creeks and bays near vegetation on topwater lures early in the morning and late in the evening. Some bass are being taken near wood cover in shallow water during the day on Texas rigged creature baits and worms. A few bass are being taken around mayfly hathches early and late in the day near overhanging trees in the creeks and bays. These fish are being taken on topwater lures, Texas rigged creature baits and jigs.
SMALLMOUTH BASS: Smallmouth are being taken on the ledges with Carolina rigged creature baits and jigs. Smallmouth are also being taken on main lake rocky points and banks as well as rocky banks and points in the creeks and bays. These fish are being taken on jigs, Texas rigged creature baits, tube jigs and shakey heads. Smallmouth now being taken on the rocky points on the main lake and in the front halves of the creeks and bays at night on large dark skirted spinner baits and jigs.
PRODUCTIVE LURES: Some of the productive lures this week have been: Strike King XD 6 and XD 10 crankbaits in sexy shad and chartreuse sexy shad, Rapala DT 16 crankbaits in parrot, Bag 5 custom painted deep crankbaits in blue glimmer and green gizzard shad, Big Hammer swim baits in sexy smelt and bay smelt, Keitech swim baits in pro blue and pearl, Lucky Craft Sammy in ghost pearl lemon, Strike King splash bait in white, Slong’s football jig Cumberland craw, D&L football head jigs in Cumberland craw and Oops patterns, Slong’s shaky head jigs with Charmer shaky head worm in green pumpkin and bama bug as well as Yamamto senkos and Yum dingers in green pumpkin, Charmer timber pups in green pumpkin and watermelon/purple on Carolina rigs and Texas rigs, Charmer 10.5 inch ribbon tail worms in plum and green pumpkin on Texas rigs and Zoom pumpkin lizards with chartreuse tails on Carolina rigs. 
White Bass: White Bass are being taken along the old river channel ledges by vertically fishing with inline spinners and blade baits. Some whites are also being taken near mayfly hatches early and late in the day near overhanging trees in the creeks and bays on small topwater poppers and inline spinners.
Bluegill: Bluegills are being taken near mayfly hatches early and late in the day near mayfly hatches around overhanging trees in the creeks and bays as well as around docks at night. These fish are being taken on red worms and wax worms fished under bobbers.
Catfish: Catfish are being taken along the old river channel ledges in 20-30 feet of water on bottom rigs baited with cut baits, shrimp and leach combinations and yellow tails. Some catfish are also still being taken in the mid depth ranges of 10-15 ft in the creeks and bays on bottom rigs baited with night crawlers.

More Kentucky Lake Fishing Reports

Now That You're 'Hooked' on Fishing... Come See Us!

If you've dug this deep in our Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley fishing reports, you are probably just itching to come down and visit the South's biggest lakes.  Get started by finding that perfect place to stay!  Find a Kentucky Lake cabin or a Lake Barkley campground, a full-service resort or a marina.  Heck, there are even dozens of hotels off the water to choose from! 

Don't have a boat?  No worries!  Bank fishing is always an option for panfish. But if you're heart is set on largemouth or smallmouth, you can rent a fishing boat at many of our local resorts!

The perfect place to start looking for a place to stay at Kentucky or Barkley Lakes?  Right here on our main lodging page.

Photo by Jennifer Dunnaway

This shy little turtle visited our campsite recently in Land Between The Lakes. There are several different species of turtles that can be seen near Kentucky Lake.