Explore Kentucky Lake

Kentucky Lake, Lake Barkley Fishing
Facebook Twitter Instagram Google YouTube Contact Us About Us
Switch Mobile/Desktop

Archived Fishing Report

Dave Stewart's Fishing Report

Written by Dave Stewart | Originally published 06/02/2016

Kentucky Lake:  Water Level at Kentucky Dam - 359.37  Surface Temperature - 79

Lake Barkley:  Water Level at Barkley Dam - 359.65  Surface Temperature - 79
 
Both lakes are slightly over summer pool.  Kentucky Dam was generating at an average rate of 40,000 cfs this afternoon.  Barkley Dam was generating at an average rate of 17,000 cfs this afternoon. 

There is some wood debris floating on both lakes so boaters need to keep an eye out for this debris when running on plane.
 
General Conditions:  We have had above normal temperatures over the past week and this has pushed the water temperatures up to present levels.  With this heat of course we have has some isolated thunderstorms during the afternoon and early evening hours.  We have taken bass from the shallows to the main lake ledges this week with some nice catches.  
 
The forecast for tomorrow is for a high of 83/low of 67 with a 30% chance of isolated thunderstorms and wind NE at 4.  Saturday is calling for a high of 80/low of 65 with an 80% chance of thunderstorms and wind SW at 7.  Sunday's forecast is showing post frontal conditions with a high of 83/low of 59 with a 20% chance of rain showers and wind WNW at 12.  Boaters should keep an eye on the sky for these pop up thunderstorms we have been having.  They contain a lot of cloud to ground lightning, locally heavy downpours and local high winds.  Don't wait too late to seek safe port with an approaching storm.
 
LARGEMOUTH BASS: Largemouth are being taken on the ledges with deep diving crankbaits, Carolina rigged creature baits, Texas rigged large worms and jigs. Largemouth are being taken on secondary channel points and banks inside the creeks and bays on crankbaits, Carolina and Texas rigged creature baits, jigs and shaky heads. Largemouth are also being taken shallow in the coves and backs of the creeks and bays near vegetation on topwater lures and chatterbaits early in the morning and late in the evening. Some bass are being taken near wood cover in shallow water during the day on Texas  rigged  creature baits and worms.
 
SMALLMOUTH BASS: Smallmouth are being taken on the ledges with Carolina rigged creature baits and jigs. Smallmouth are also being taken on main lake rocky points and banks as well as rocky banks and points in the creeks and bays. These fish are being taken on jigs, Texas rigged creature baits, tube jigs, shaky heads and grubs. Although the numbers are low, some nice fish have been taken.
 
PRODUCTIVE LURES: Some of the productive lures this week have been: Strike King XD 6 and XD 10 crankbaits in sexy shad and chartreuse sexy shad, Rapala DT 16 crankbaits in parrot, Bag 5 custom painted deep crankbaits in blue glimmer and green gizzard shad, Picasso FX shock blade chatterbait in white and blue glimmer, Zman chatterbaits in white/chartruese,  Lucky Craft Sammy in ghost pearl lemon, Strike King splash bait in white, Slong’s football jig Cumberland craw, D&L baby advantage jig in Cumberland craw and Oops patterns, Slong’s shaky head jigs with Charmer shaky head worm in green pumpkin and bama bug as well as Yamamto senkos and Yum dingers in green pumpkin, Charmer timber pups in green pumpkin and watermelon/purple on Carolina rigs and Texas rigs, Charmer 10.5 inch ribbon tail worms in plum and green pumpkin on Texas rigs.
 
Bluegill/Red Ear: These fish are now spawning and are being taken shallow with crickets and red worms under bobbers as well as on split shot rigs baited with small creature jigs tipped with worms dragged slowly on bottom. Look for the red ears on gravel points in 3-5 ft of water. The bluegills are being taken in front of the brush on gravel bottoms in 2-4 ft of water. 
 
Catfish: Channel catfish are now being taken on rocky points and banks on night crawlers fished both under bobbers and on bottom rigs. Some nice catches of numbers of these fish are now being reported. A number of these catfish are also being taken on the flats just off the shallow spawning areas by anglers while jug fishing with minnows and worms. 

More Kentucky Lake Fishing Reports

Now That You're 'Hooked' on Fishing... Come See Us!

If you've dug this deep in our Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley fishing reports, you are probably just itching to come down and visit the South's biggest lakes.  Get started by finding that perfect place to stay!  Find a Kentucky Lake cabin or a Lake Barkley campground, a full-service resort or a marina.  Heck, there are even dozens of hotels off the water to choose from! 

Don't have a boat?  No worries!  Bank fishing is always an option for panfish. But if you're heart is set on largemouth or smallmouth, you can rent a fishing boat at many of our local resorts!

The perfect place to start looking for a place to stay at Kentucky or Barkley Lakes?  Right here on our main lodging page.


Geese in Flight
Photo by Murray Blake

These Canadian geese are just beginning their yearly migration south to avoid the long, cold winter. They will return in spring to the welcoming waterways of the Kentucky Lakes Area.