175th Tater Day Held March 30 Through April 2, 2018
Every year, on the first Monday in April, the streets of Benton, Kentucky, are lined with vendors selling all sorts of goodies in celebration of Tater Day, an age-old community tradition. Whether you’re craving a funnel cake sprinkled in powdered sugar or a corndog encased in a delicious fried bread, Tater Day is sure to be a palate pleaser for the whole family.
"The first Monday in April is our unofficial start of spring with the Tater Day Festival," Marshall County Tourism Executive Director Randy Newcomb says. “Tater Day brings people from all over to enjoy great food, entertainment and family fun."
After almost two centuries, Tater Day continues to be cherished and well attended by residents and visitors from all over the region.
The one-day downtown festival has grown into a longer attraction, as its events are now coordinated in conjunction with the Marshall County Fair. Today, the event extends over four days and includes the Tater Day 100-Enduro Derby (demolition derby style car races), a traditional demolition derby, laser tag, a carnival and the Tater Trot, a 5K run-walk. Most of the festival activities and attractions are hosted at H.H. Lovett Park in Marshall County.
In addition to all of this, the official Tater Day Parade will be hosted in downtown Benton on Monday, April 2. Photo courtesy Marshall County Tourism.
2018 Tater Day Highlights
Food, Vendors, Exhibits & Flea Market - Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday all day
- Location: At the H.H. Lovett Park in Benton down Main & Poplar Streets. For details, call (270) 703-4503.
- Details: Enjoy all kinds of carnival-type foods and browse the specialty vendors throughout the weekend.
Carnival Rides - Various times Thursday through Monday. See Details below.
- Locations: H.H. Lovett Park & The Benton Water Treatment Plant at Poplar Street & Harold King Drive.
- Details: Two carnival areas - the first at the H.H. Lovett Park and the second at the Benton Water Treatment Plant. The carnival times are dependent on the weather, conditions and the crowds. Approximate times are Thursday 6p-10p, Friday 4p-10p, Saturday 10a-10p, Sunday 2p-10p, Monday 10a to 5p.
- Ticketing & Arm Bands: Single tickets are $1.25 each; 10 for $10; or get the Value Pack: 26 tickets for $20. Some rides take multiple tickets. Arm bands are available on Friday and Sunday and can be used at both carnival locations for $25. Or, you can purchase one arm band for one location for $18.
Demolition Derby - Friday 7:00 p.m. Pits open at 4:00 p.m.
- Location: H.H. Lovett Park in Benton
- Details: Admission is $10 per person. To participate in the derby, call (270) 703-2049.
Laser Tag - Friday, Saturday & Monday
- Location: Joe Creason Building at Benton City Park
- Details: Enjoy a professional laser tag set-up Friday, Saturday and Monday from 5:00 p.m. to close. Games are only $4 each and any age can play.
5K & 1 Mile Tater Trot - Saturday at 9:00 a.m.
- Location: Mike Miller Park
- Details: Race day registration is $25 and is from 7:45 to 8:30 a.m. For more information visit the Marshall Co. Tater Trot Facebook page.
Tater Day 100 Enduro Derby - Saturday at 5:00 p.m. Pits open at 3:00 p.m.
- Location: H.H. Lovett Park on Poplar Street
- Details: Full Contact Racing with 25 lap heat races and a 75 lap feature paying $2,000 to the winner. There are no caution flags as drivers do whatever it takes to put their vehicle in the lead. More on their Facebook page.
Tater Day Parade - Monday at 11:00 a.m.
- Location: Along Main Street
- Details: Watch this area's largest parade along Main Street starting at 11:00 a.m. For more information call (270) 703-0255.