August Is Hummingbird Month at Woodlands Nature Station
July 19, 2017 | Land Between The Lakes Press Release
August is peak hummingbird viewing season at Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area. Nature Station naturalists present special hummingbird programs throughout August included with regular admission to the Nature Station: $5 ages 13 and older, $3 ages 5 to 12, and free for ages 4 and younger.
Optimal hummingbird viewing begins in mid-July and lasts throughout August and to Labor Day. Hundreds of Ruby-throated Hummingbirds rest and fuel up in the gardens and feeders at Woodlands Nature Station for their migratory journey south to Central America.
Nature Station naturalist will provide many opportunities through the month of August to see these fast fliers up close. There will be a Hummingbird Photography Workshop at 9:30am on Saturday, August 12. On August 19, the Nature Station opens early for Hummingbird Café. Enjoy breakfast amongst the native wildflower gardens and hummingbird feeding frenzy. The cost is $10 per person; call 270-924-2020 for reservations.
The Nature Station provides a unique opportunity for up to 10 people during an Early Morning Hummingbird Photo Session. Photographers may also photograph butterflies, native wildflowers and rescued wildlife including the red wolves and bobcat during their most active time of day. The Early Morning Hummingbird Photo Session begin at 9am on August 26. The cost is $10 per person. Call 270-924-2020 for reservations.
Nature Station visitors can enter Nature Station’s Hummingbird Photo Contest by submitting a hummingbird photo taken at the Nature Station during August. Winners will be recognized during the Hummingbird Festival. See full contest details here.
Special programs offered in August include:
• Throughout August - Hummingbird Photo Contest
• Mon. through Fri., 3:30pm - Afternoon Animal Encounters
• Tue. & Thu. 10am - Morning with the Hummingbirds
• Wed., Aug. 2, 9 & 30, 11:30am - Hummingbirds of the World
• Fri., Aug. 4, 6-8pm - Dinner with the Hummingbirds (reservation required)
• Sat. & Sun., Aug. 5 & 6, 10am-5pm - 21st Annual Hummingbird Festival
• Sat., Aug. 12, 9:30 am - Hummingbird Photography Workshop (reservation required)
• Sun., Aug. 13, 2pm - Knee High Naturalists: Hummingbirds
• Sat., Aug. 19, 9am - Hummingbird Café (reservation required)
• Sat., Aug. 26, 9am - Early Morning Photo Session (reservation required)
Contact the Nature Station at 270-924-2299 with questions or for more information about Hummingbird Month.
To find more information about Land Between the Lakes, call 1.800.525.7077