St. Stephen Church was founded in 1900 by German Americans seeking a local place of worship. It served as a symbol of community spirit for its members until 1945 when the last service was held.
The significance of St. Stephen Church is the fact that it was overlooked when The Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area was formed in 1963. It is the only church that remains standing at Land Between The Lakes. The building, which had been deteriorating, was authentically restored thanks to a renewed sense of community spirit in 2000. Volunteers used photographs and oral history to reconstruct the church.
The drive to St. Stephen Church makes it all the more
interesting. It is located in the middle of nowhere! The
church's original access road was cut off by Lake Barkley. A new
road was constructed to access the church and cemetery. However,
this gravel road is very narrow, windy, and at times impassable. The road is approximately 2 miles long.
Be sure to check out Explorations for an in-depth look at St. Stephen Church along with some neat old maps.
Note: ExploreKentuckyLake.com is not the official site of the Land Between The Lakes. You can access their official site here.