Dave Stewart's Fishing Report
Written by Dave Stewart | Originally published 05/07/2015
Kentucky Lake: Water Level at Kentucky Dam - 359.47 Surface Temperature - 69 Lake Barkley: Water Level at Barkley Dam - 359.55 Surface Temperature - 67 Both lakes are one half foot over summer pool. Kentucky Dam was generating an average of 29,000 cfs this afternoon. Barkley Dam was generating at an average of 7,900 cfs this afternoon. There is still some debris floating on both lakes but more so on Lake Barkley. General Conditions: The week since my last report started out with the fish still scattered and slower bite but has picked up over the past few days with the lake leveling off and unseasonably high temperatures raised the creek and bay temperatures during the day into the 70's. Some fish started showing up on the early ledges over the past few days but we still have fish on the beds and we are still taking fish on main lake points, secondary points and lead in channel banks. We are catching fish on the secondary points and lead in banks off the spawning areas that are both post spawn and prespawn still with eggs in the females. The big draw down we experienced two weeks ago and the nasty cold front has giving us a bevy of patterns to fish right now. You can catch them in the bushes and on the ledges and places in between right now. The bass that spawned out before the draw down however are moving to ledges and the ledge bite is only going to get better over the next week or so as these fish feed up after the spawn. The unseasonably high temperatures we have had this week are forecasted to continue through the weekend into early next week as the next front approaches. The forecast for tomorrow is for a high of 86/low of 66 with a 50% chance of scattered thunderstorms and wind SSW14. Saturday's forecast is showing a forecasted high of 85/low of 66 with an 80% chance of thunderstorms and wind SSW14. Sunday is showing a high of 90/low of 67 with a 20% chance of rain and wind S11. Monday's forecast is calling for a high of 81/low of 59 with an 80% chance of thunderstorms and wind SSW10 with a frontal passage. The extended forecast into next week is calling for post frontal conditions with a return to more seasonable temperatures with highs in the 70's/lows in the 50's and north quadrant winds. Largemouth Bass: Largemouth are being taken on a myriad of patterns right now. Some largemouth are being taken on early post spawn ledges with deep diving crankbaits, Carolina rigged creature baits and dragging football head jigs. Largemouth are also being taken on primary points and secondary points and channel banks in the creeks and bays. These fish are being taken on Carolina and Texas rigged creature baits, jigs and shaky heads. Largemouth are also still being taken around the spawning brush, especially those with grass and/or flowers. These fish are being taken with jigs, Texas rigged lizards and creature baits, spinnerbaits, whacky rigged worms and some topwater bite is being reported. Smallmouth Bass: Smallmouth are being taken on main lake primary points and secondary points in the front halves of the creeks and bays. These fish are being taken on deep diving crankbaits, Carolina rigged creature baits, jigs and shakey heads. Productive Lures: Some of the more productive lures reported this week have been: Charmer Timber Pups and lizards in green pumpkin, whacky rigged Yamamoto Senko's in green pumpkin/black, Slong's spinnerbaits in blue glimmer and white/chartreuse, Last Cast jigs in green pumpkin with Missle baits turbo tail and Net Baits Baby Paca craw trailers, Slong's football head jigs in mustang with same trailers as above, Slongs shaky heads with Yamamoto Senko's in green pumpkin. Catfish: The Channel Catfish are being taken in numbers right now on rocky banks and points on the main lake and on the flats in the creeks and bays. These fish are being taken with night crawlers under bobbers and on bottom rigs as well as on jug lines baited with night crawlers and threadfin shad. Bluegill/Red Ears: I mentioned in last week's report that I expected the Red Ears and Bluegills to start bedding this week with the full moon if the water stabilized. That is exactly what has happened and the panfish anglers are having a great time this week on these feisty fighters. The Bluegills are being taken with crickets under bobbers on shallow flats in 2-4 feet of water. The Red Ears are being taken on split shot rigs baited with worms and slow rolled on gravel bars in 3-5 feet of water.
More Kentucky Lake Fishing Reports
- Kentucky Lake Fishing Report Archives
- Current Kentucky Lake Fishing Reports
- Kentucky Lake Fishing Homepage
Now That You're 'Hooked' on Fishing... Come See Us!
If you've dug this deep in our Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley fishing reports, you are probably just itching to come down and visit the South's biggest lakes. Get started by finding that perfect place to stay! Find a Kentucky Lake cabin or a Lake Barkley campground, a full-service resort or a marina. Heck, there are even dozens of hotels off the water to choose from!
The perfect place to start looking for a place to stay at Kentucky or Barkley Lakes? Right here on our main lodging page.