Dave Stewart's Fishing Report
Written by Dave Stewart | Originally published 08/01/2013
Kentucky Lake: Water Level at Kentucky Dam - 357.89 Surface Temperature - 81 Lake Barkley: Water Level at Barkley Dam - 358.10 Surface Temperature - 81 Both lakes are one foot below summer pool. Expect the lakes to be drawn down another foot over the month in accordance with the TVA River Operating Guide barring any unforeseen influx of water. Kentucky Dam was generating at an average rate of just over 59,000 cfs today. Barkley Dam was generating at an average flow of 16,200 cfs today. The rate of flow at Kentucky Dam is somewhat less than we had last week and quite a bit less than we have had over the course of the summer so far. The TVA currently is projecting a drop in outflow to an average of 31,000 cfs for tomorrow and 33,945 on Saturday. Barring any unforeseen influx of water from up river, I expect we will start seeing low outflows during the morning hours pretty soon with higher flows coming in the afternoon and early evening during the heat of the day. We had some nice cool days and nights over the past weekend and into earlier this week. A warming trend is in store for tomorrow and Saturday as another front approaches the lakes area. Tomorrow's forecast is for a high of 90 and low of 71 with wind S at 10 and a 20% chance of rain as more humid air comes into the area. Saturday's forecast is for a high of 90 and low of 69 with wind from the SSW at 13 and a 50% chance of scattered thunderstorms as the next front transverses the lakes area. Sunday is forecasting post frontal conditions with a high of 84 and low of 64 with wind NNE at 10 and a 30% chance of scattered thunderstorms. The extended forecast through next midweek is for high's in the mid to upper 80's with a southerly flow of air and a slight chance for scattered thunderstorms each day. Largemouth Bass: Largemouth are being taken on the old river and creek channel ledges on the main lakes and around the mouths of the creeks and bays. These fish are being taken on deep diving crankbaits, swim baits, slow rolled spinnerbaits, Carolina rigged creature baits, Texas rigged large worms and football head jigs. Some Largemouth are also being taken in current breaks around main lake points and also secondary points in the front halves of the creeks and bays. These fish are being taken on deep and medium diving crankbaits, Texas rigged large worms and jigs. Some Largemouth are also being taken in the backs of the creeks and bays, especially early in the morning and late in the evening on topwater lures and spinnerbaits. Our best bite this week in my boat has been on Texas rigged large worms and dragging football head jigs on the ledges with some quick action early in the morning on the shallow flats in the backs of the creeks and bays with topwater lures. Smallmouth Bass: Smallmouth are being taken in current breaks on main lake points as well as on old creek channel ledges on the main lakes and around the mouths of the creeks and bays. The fish on the points are being taken on deep diving crankbaits, finesse jigs, tube jigs and Carolina rigged creature baits. The ledge fish are being taken on deep diving crankbaits, Carolina rigged creature baits, Texas rigged large worms and football head jigs. The best bite on the Smallmouth is at night now fishing rocky points with current breaks on the main lakes and inside the mouths of the creeks and bays. These feisty summer night feeders are taking spinnerbaits with dark colored skirts and large single Colorado blades as well as on jigs and tube jigs. Some productive lures reported this week are: Lucky Craft Sammy in ghost pearl lemon, Slong's spinnerbaits in blue glimmer, Strike King 6XD crankbaits in powder blue back with chartreuse side and chartreuse sexy shad, Rapala DT16 in parrot, Bag 5 custom painted deep diving crankbaits in green gizzard shad and Tennessee shad, Big Hammer swim baits in sexy smelt, Charmer timber pups in green pumpkin and watermelon/purple on Carolina rigs, Charmer 10.5" ribbon tail worms in plum on Texas rigs, D&L football head jigs in Cumberland Craw and "oops" patterns, and Slong's football head jigs in Cumberland Craw (all with Net Baits paca punch green pumpkin trailers). White Bass: White bass are being taken along the old creek channel ledges on the main lakes as well as on the humps and ledges around the mouths of the creeks and bays by vertically fishing with inline spinners and small spoons. Whites are also being taken by trolling inline spinners behind deep diving crankbaits in these areas. Some white bass are also being taken early in the morning around mayfly hatches. Bluegill: Bluegills are being taken around overhanging trees and also around wooden docks early in the morning after mayfly hatches. These fish are being taken on crickets and worms fished under bobbers. I noticed some large mayfly hatches the past couple of days and lots of feeding activity on them. Catfish: Catfish are being taken on the old river channel ledges in 20-30 feet of water on bottom rigs baited with cut baits. Some nice catches are being reported.
More Kentucky Lake Fishing Reports
- Kentucky Lake Fishing Report Archives
- Current Kentucky Lake Fishing Reports
- Kentucky Lake Fishing Homepage
Now That You're 'Hooked' on Fishing... Come See Us!
If you've dug this deep in our Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley fishing reports, you are probably just itching to come down and visit the South's biggest lakes. Get started by finding that perfect place to stay! Find a Kentucky Lake cabin or a Lake Barkley campground, a full-service resort or a marina. Heck, there are even dozens of hotels off the water to choose from!
The perfect place to start looking for a place to stay at Kentucky or Barkley Lakes? Right here on our main lodging page.