Dave Stewart's Fishing Report
Written by Dave Stewart | Originally published 06/27/2013
Kentucky Lake: Water Level at Kentucky Dam - 359.26 Surface Temperature - 84 Lake Barkley: Water Level at Barkley Dam - 359.45 Surface Temperature - 84 Both lakes are just a few inches over summer pool with little change expected in the near future. Kentucky Dam has been generating an average of just over 59,000 cfs all day today. Barkley Dam has been generating an average rate of 16,000 cfs around the clock the past few days. There has not been much change to report since last week's report. The ledge bite continues to be good with the current flow on both lakes. Although a number of techniques and lures are producing bass, our best fish and most productive techniques this week again was Carolina rigging creature baits, Texas rigging large worms and dragging football head jigs on the ledges. The weather forecast looks pretty typical for this time of the summer with some humid days and a chance for isolated thunderstorms pretty much every day though the 4th. The forecast for tomorrow is a high of 92 and low of 68 with a 30% chance of isolated thunderstorms and wind NW at 11. Saturday and Sunday is showing some slightly cooler temperatures but still humid with a chance of thunderstorms each day. Saturday's forecast is for a high of 81 and low of 65 with a 30% chance of isolated thunderstorms and wind NW at 13. Sunday's high is forecasted to be 79 with a low of 65 and 40% chance of isolated thunderstorms with wind N at 9. A return to the mid 80's is forecasted by midweek with a 30% chance of thunderstorms each day. It is now that time of year that everyone on the lakes should keep an eye on the sky for pop up afternoon and early evening thunderstorms. These heat of the day thunderstorms can form and move rapidly and normally have some nasty associated lightning and localized high winds. Do not wait too late to seek safe port if you see these storms forming. Largemouth Bass: Largemouth are being taken on the old river and creek channel ledges on the main lakes and around the mouths of the creeks and bays. These fish are being taken on deep diving crankbaits, swim baits, slow rolled spinnerbaits, Carolina rigged creature baits, Texas rigged large worms and football head jigs. Some Largemouth are also being taken on main lake primary points and also secondary points in the front halves of the creeks and bays. These fish are being taken on deep and medium diving crankbaits, Texas rigged large worms and jigs. Some Largemouth are also being taken in the backs of the creeks and bays, especially near vegetation and wood cover. These fish are feeding on schools of fry. Topwater lures, spinnerbaits, square billed crankbaits and Texas rigged creature baits are taking these fish. Smallmouth Bass: Smallmouth are being taken on main lake points as well as on old creek and river channel ledges on the main lakes and around the mouths of the creeks and bays. The fish on the points are being taken on deep diving crankbaits, finesse jigs, tube jigs and Carolina rigged creature baits. The ledge fish are being taken on deep diving crankbaits, Carolina rigged creature baits, Texas rigged large worms and football head jigs. The night bite is still being reported as good this week of some nice numbers of Smallmouth as well as Largemouth being taken at night on the east side of Kentucky Lake fishing rocky points and banks. These fish are being taken on large dark skirted spinnerbaits and tube jigs. Some productive lures reported this week are: Rebel Pop R in black/silver, Lucky Craft Sammy in ghost pearl lemon, Zoom horny toads in white and green pumpkin/red, Slong's spinnerbaits in blue glimmer, ABT suspending square bill crankbaits in sexy shad, Bag 5 square bill crankbaits in green gizzard shad, Strike King 5XD, 6XD and 10XD crankbaits in powder blue back with chartreuse side, chartreuse sexy shad and sexy shad, Rapala DT16 in parrot and bluegill, Big Hammer swim baits in sexy smelt, Charmer timber pups in green pumpkin and watermelon/purple on Carolina rigs, Charmer 10.5" ribbon tail worms in plum on Texas rigs, D&L football head jigs in Cumberland Craw, Perfect Craw and "oops" patterns, and Slong's football head jigs in Cumberland Craw (all with Venom and Net Baits green pumpkin trailers). White Bass: White bass are being taken along the old river channel ledges and sunken islands as well as on the humps and ledges around the mouths of the creeks and bays by vertically fishing with inline spinners and small spoons. Whites are also being taken by trolling inline spinners behind deep diving crankbaits in these areas. I have observed a good number of short lived fish in the jumps around the mouths of some of the deeper bays as well as on some of the main lake flats on Kentucky Lake this week. Bluegill: Bluegills are being taken around overhanging trees and also around wooden docks early in the morning after mayfly hatches. These fish are being taken on crickets and worms fished under bobbers. Catfish: Catfish are being taken along the old river channel ledges in 25-30 ft of water. These fish are being taken on bottom bouncing rigs baited with shrimp and leech combinations and on bottom rigs with cut baits. This good bite should hold up with the current we have being generated.
More Kentucky Lake Fishing Reports
- Kentucky Lake Fishing Report Archives
- Current Kentucky Lake Fishing Reports
- Kentucky Lake Fishing Homepage
Now That You're 'Hooked' on Fishing... Come See Us!
If you've dug this deep in our Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley fishing reports, you are probably just itching to come down and visit the South's biggest lakes. Get started by finding that perfect place to stay! Find a Kentucky Lake cabin or a Lake Barkley campground, a full-service resort or a marina. Heck, there are even dozens of hotels off the water to choose from!
The perfect place to start looking for a place to stay at Kentucky or Barkley Lakes? Right here on our main lodging page.